I know, I know... what kind of Hiking Blog am I without a gear list?
I would consider my gear style a mixture of ultra-light and obnoxiously heavy... Two extremes can still create balance, right? For example, I'm packing a 10 ounce tarp as my shelter, but then there's that 4 pound camera. My first aid kit consists of a needle and some Neosporin, however, I like to collect rocks when I hike. I'm pretty sure I'm still clocking in under 13 pounds base weight, so I think I'm doing something right. (That's right, you can clock pounds).
I don't own a scale so I can't give you the exact wight, but here is a list of EVERYTHING I will start out with on the PNT. My theory is to go as light as possible so when you build some strength on the trail, you can afford to carry as many extras as comfortable... such as mascara and antlers.
- Backpack: Hyperlite Mountain Gear 3400 Southwest Cuben Pack (with a trash compactor liner), trimmed straps
- Shelter: Hyperlite Mountain Gear Flat Tarp with Aluminum and Titanium Stakes
- Therm-a-Rest ZLite Sleeping Pad (cut down to save weight)
- Sleeping Bag: Western Mountaineering 20 Degree Alpinelite
- Kitchen: MSR Stove, Fuel, Mini Bic Lighter, Titanium Pot, Titanium Spork, Sawyer Squeeze Mini, Platypus Pouch, 2 Water Bottles, Ursack S29 and Scentless Liner
- Clothing Carried: Smartwool Long Underwear, Darn Tough Knee Socks, Darn Tough Short Socks, Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer Down Jacket, Mammut Long Sleeve Base Layer, Marmot Precip Rain Jacket, Mouse Works Beanie (with animal ears!), Hanky (cut in half), Fleece Gloves ($0.50 from the gas station), Bedrock Sandals, Bug Net
- Clothing Worn: Salomon XR Mission Trail Runners, Superfeet Green Insoles, Dirty Girl Gators, Darn Tough Short Socks, Nike Pro Running Shorts, Goodwill Cotton Shirt with Sleeves Cut Off, Sports Bra, Tilley Hat, Two Hair Ties
- Miscellaneous: Leki Cressida Cork Trekking Poles (with duct tape wrapped around for repairs), Compass, Printed Maps Double Sided, PNT Data Book, Small Swiss Army Knife, Bear Mace, Hyperlite Mountain Gear Stuff Sacks x4
- Toiletries/First Aid: Toothbrush (cut in half), Mini Toothpaste, Dental Floss Spindle, Hand Sanitizer, Mini Sunscreen, 100% Deet, Biodegradable Wet Wipes, Diva Cup, Sewing Needle, Ibuprofen, Neosporin, Moleskin, Second Skin Bandage, Tenacious Tape, Ziplock Bags
- Electronics: Black Diamond Headlamp, Nikon DSLR D600 Camera and Charger, IPad Mini (with GPS capabilities) and Charger/Adapter, IPod Shuffle
- Extras: Father's Prom Photo, Crystal (best friend gave me from India), Ceremonial Cigarette From a Shaman in Peru, Pin of the President of Laos